Project Management Software has now become an essential part in any project. A good project management software would include many types of software, including estimation and planning, scheduling, cost control and budget management, resource allocation, collaboration software, communication, decision-making, quality management and documentation or administration systems. However most Project Management Software are expensive and costly. But there are some free and open source software also available for you. Here is a list of free and open source project management software in random order.
Collabtive is a web-based open source project management suite. A quick look inside shows that Collabtive has all the basic features: milestones, task management, time tracking, calendar. Moreover, you can import Basecamp projects and get RSS updates.
- Unlimited projects, milestones, tasklists, and tasks
- Unlimited members with user profiles
- Role-based permission management
- Messaging and instant messaging
- File management
- Timetracker reports, activity logs and messages in PDF format
- Export user profiles as vCard
- RSS feeds for messages and tasks
- Synchronization of calendars via iCal task export
- Excel files from activity logs and timetracker reports
- E-mail notifications
- Fully themeable
- Available in more than 30 languages
eGroupWare is a free open source groupware software intended for businesses from small to enterprises. Its primary functions allow users to manage contacts, appointments, projects and to-do lists. It is used either via its native web-interface, making access platform-independent, or by using different supported groupware clients, such as Kontact, Novell Evolution, or Microsoft Outlook. It can also be used by mobile phone or PDA via SyncML.
- Information sharing and CRM
- Project, task and event management
- Online file server and document management
- Data exchange and synchronization
- Incident tracking
- Website content management
Codendi is an open-source collaborative development platform offered by Xerox. From only one interface, it gathers, all the needed tools for software development teams: management and versioning of code, bugs, requirements, documents, reporting, tests etc. It is mainly used for managing software project processes. Codendi is 100% Web 2.0 based. Codendi manages your projects, requirements, tasks, tests, documents and releases.
- ALM : Project Management, Requirements, Tasks, Tests, Releases
- Collaboration platform : 100 % web, multi-projects, multi-profiles
- Forge: GIT, SVN, CVS, Jenkins, document management
- Focuses teams on the important tasks
- Saves a lot of time on projects setup and tracking
- Shows an accurate and real time status of your project
- Configurable for most specific needs, processes and businesses
phpCollab is a customizable open source team-working solution. You can manage projects, set tasks, view milestones. Launched in 2002, phpCollab stands out for sufficient online collaboration tools such as discussions, notifications, support requests. It is an internet-enabled system for use in projects that require collaboration over the internet. Those organizations, such as consulting firms, that rely on a division between firm-side and client-side information will benefit most from use of phpCollab.
Project.net is an enterprise-level project management software with open code. You can manage projects, collaborate, and use social sharing tools within your team. To tack projects easier, try project templates and dashboards. Besides, Project.net offers paid services like training or top-priority support so you can migrate to the new project management system smoothly. Project.net maximizes the performance of any organization tracking a single project or a portfolio of projects. Unifying the latest social media innovations within a collaborative and comprehensive project management framework, Project.net empowers every team member, enhances accountability, drives collaboration, and supports better decisions.
Redmine is a flexible web-platform for project management. Redmine is based on Ruby on Rails framework and has multiple database support: Postgre SQL, SQLite and MySQL. The application is multilingual and available in more than 30 languages. Redmine provides users with Gantt chart, calendar, time tracking features which are essential for project planning.
- Multiple projects support
- Flexible role based access control
- Flexible issue tracking system
- Gantt chart and calendar
- News, documents & files management
- Feeds & email notifications
- Per project wiki
- Per project forums
- Time tracking
- Custom fields for issues, time-entries, projects and users
- SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and Darcs)
- Issue creation via email
- Multiple LDAP authentication support
- User self-registration support
- Multilanguage support
- Multiple databases support
7. TaskJuggler Project Management Software
TaskJuggler is a modern and powerful, Free and Open Source Software project management tool. Its new approach to project planning and tracking is more flexible and superior to the commonly used Gantt chart editing tools. TaskJuggler is project management software for serious project managers. It covers the complete spectrum of project management tasks from the first idea to the completion of the project. It assists you during project scoping, resource assignment, cost and revenue planning, risk and communication management. TaskJuggler is written in Ruby and should be easily installable and usable on all popular operating systems.
- Manages tasks, resources and accounts of your project
- Powerful to-do list management
- Detailed reference manual
- Simple installation
- Runs on all Linux, Unix, Windows, MacOS and several other operating systems
- Full integration with Vim text editor
- Scaling and enterprise features
- Web publishing and groupware features
TeamLab is a multifunctional online service for business collaboration, CRM, document and project management. It has been developed by Ascensio System SIA, a Latvian company that offers IT-solutions for personal and corporate use. TeamLab combines a set of productivity tools that assists a company team to work as one organism at solving common tasks and achieving results. It has 4 modules: project management, business collaboration, documents processing and instant messaging. You can set tasks, milestones, track project activity and generate reports, share bookmarks and wiki pages with your colleagues, keep your teammates up to date with news and even create a poll. Teamlab has a fully featured document management suite. Users can edit, store and share documents right on the corporate portal.
WebCollab is a collaborative web-based system for projects and project management. It is easy to use, and encourages users to work together. The software is functionally elegant and secure without being cumbersome for users, or graphically intensive. The software is ideally suited to tracking multiple projects and innumerable small tasks across an organisation of any size. You can make to-do lists, manage tasks via calendar, and manage projects. WebCollab supports social activity. You can post messages in forums or add new contacts or files for further team work.
- Easy to read and intuitive screen layouts. Most users can use WebCollab without training.
- Individual users are assigned rights and permissions. Users can also be put into groups with controlled rights and permissions.
- Projects and tasks progress and approaching deadlines are graphically highlighted.
- Changes are personally highlighted for other users to see.
- Changes and new items can be emailed to affected users.
10. ]project open[
]project-open[ is more than just a project management suite. It claims to cover related business areas like CRM, invoicing and payments. Standing close to ERP software, ]project-open[ performs all basic project management tasks. You can manage projects, assign tasks, generate reports and track overall results. ]project-open[ is one of the largest open-source based web applications in the world.
phpEasyProject is an Open Source project management system primarily focused toward middle-class businesses from independent and small businesses to the service provider. phpEasyProject is invented for small teams. Though the interface is incredibly simple and clean, all the basic collaboration features are packed. You can create projects, set up tasks and manage to-do list. Dotproject includes a report export feature and performance statistics. So you can keep track of all current team activity.
- Access restricted to project management and business management only
- Project managers can access only their own assigned projects, business managers can access all projects independent of their own participation
- Fast creation of of new projects as well as processing of existing projects through only one mouse click
- Flexible selection of projects, for example selecting only active vs. inactive projects or restricting by search key(filter)
- Sorting in ascending or descending order
- Direct overview of all participant in certain projects and easy administration with a few mouse-click
- Export of project data as HTML or XML format (with matching XSL) – using different criteria and organization
- List representation of projects (and sub-projects) in tree-structure
- User management
- Activity Manager
- ToDo list
GanttProject is a cross-platform desktop tool for project scheduling and management. It runs on Windows, Linux and MacOSX, it is free and its code is opensource. If you are a Gantt chart addict, than give a try to GanttProject. You can set milestones, plan resources, measure results, make reports and share projects.
- Gantt chart : Create work breakdown structure, draw dependencies, define milestones.
- Resources : Assign human resources to work on tasks, see their allocation on the Resource Load chart.
- PERT chart : Generate PERT chart from Gantt chart.
- Export : Save charts as PNG images, generate PDF and HTML reports.
- Interoperate : Import projects from and export them to Microsoft Project formats. Export to spreadsheets with CSV.
- Collaborate : Share projects with your colleagues using WebDAV.
ClockingIT is a free Project Management solution, which helps your team stay focused and on top of things. It is a free hosted application, keeping track of all your tasks and the time you spend on them. Extensive features like Project Management, Collaboration and Time Tracking makes this application very useful for our project.
- no restrictions or limits
- one-click time tracking
- clean and out of the way interface
- interactive gantt chart & scheduling
- flexible reporting
- multiple ways to communicate
- tracks and indexes all changes
- notifications via email, rss & ical
- ajax, comet & drag and drop
- translated to 14 languages
14. Project HQ
Project HQ is a collaborative open source project management tool, similar to Basecamp and activeCollab. Project HQ is built on open source technologies like Python, Pylons and SQLAlchemy and is fully database independent. Project HQ uses a structured workflow to assist you in managing your projects. Project HQ aims to be a buzz word compliant application, making use of Web 2.0 design and technologies like AJAX. Project HQ attempts to use AJAX in appropriate places, to help the user work efficiently, rather than simply providing flash and getting in the way of usability.
- Task Lists & Tasks
- Themeable using CSS
15. ProjectPier – easy online collaboration
ProjectPier is a Free, Open-Source, self-hosted PHP application for managing tasks, projects and teams through an intuitive web interface. ProjectPier will help your organization communicate, collaborate and get things done Its function is similar to commercial groupware/project management products, but allows the freedom and scalability of self-hosting.
- Easy; Web-based; Organized
- Notification system
- User Management
- Multi-client capability
- Manage tasks, milestones, tickets,
- Project Hierarchy
- File Management
- Search feature
- Privacy options
- Form generator to create task
39 thoughts on “15 Best Free Open Source Project Management Applications and Tools”
If you’d like a tool for managing your time and projects, you can use this web-application inspired by David Allen’s GTD:
You can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, and a calendar.
Syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar, and also comes with mobile version, and Android and iPhone apps.
eGroupWare isn't free as far as I can tell.
I'm using http://qdpm.net/
It's free and have good users access configuration
Is not free at all… The commercial version has more functionalities and basic possibilities like work with sub-tasks.
But you forgot about Feng Office – it has an open sorce version too.
can any one tell me which is the best Open source & project management System with full facility.
From : Swaggerunit.com
also tell mail me about any one can find one of this opensource.
asana [dot] com is a very nice but it is web based and you can not use at your server ,
one another thing to know about asana that you could never know its source code…..
you can get only services form asana [dot] com
We are grateful to announce the launch of “ProjectXimplify” – The simple way to manage your project. We aim to help project team to manage multiple projects in more organize way that match with daily office work-flow or routine. In line with this product introduction, limited-time offer is here “FREE for life up to 10 user’s license”, Either you are end users (project manager or project engineer) or management team looking for project management solution, find out more yourself more at http://www.projectximplify.com if you are looking for a truly good and affordable solution.
Have a look at projectximplify.com, they offer to host the solution in company local server
I am looking for a tool in php which can be used internally within my team to track projects. I would like to modify it myself so that it suits my team needs. I just require basic functionality like task assignment, notification and report generation. Any simple open source tool available which I can refer too?
misleading – many of these are not free and require $100 +
Thank for the list! My company is using Teamwork right now. We have adopted it after a long selection period and we are quite happy with that,
The software is not free, you have to pay for a non expiring license but we though that an investment on this would be a benefit for the company.
if you want to take a look here is the link:
hope it helps someone!
Project'Or RIA should also be considered…
Thanks for sharing this useful list of Project Management tool. This are extremely helpful for me. keep up the good work..
I am hoping that somebody can give me some advice on which project manager program will suit my needs. I will be needing the following functions
1. free of charge
2. file sharing
3. automatic email alert can be sent to members for new tasks. Then from the email, a member could automatically select a task which he/she would like to work on. Finally, other members can be alerted that somebody has already decided to work on this task.
I am new to this whole project manager thing, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
REDMINE IS A BEST ONE
There are several free, open source and paid project management tools available, but everyone has a unique and specific need.
We use Replicon online project management software for project and time management. At the same time, I had used some free and paid tools in the past.
Actually, you must be very careful in selecting a project and time management tool because it is very difficult to change from one tool to another as transition is complete hassle.
thank you for this comparions. I miss here Easy Redmine, it is new open source management software, which is realy cheap, but very smart. Free trial: https://www.easyredmine.com/free-trial
ERPAL is the open source project management Drupal distribution. ERPAL is very feature rich and under active development. We are interested in any feedback. More information is available at http://erpal.info
i reckon this one is good one.
Collabtive is not free.
I really believe this awesome website has got some very awesome information for everyone Incredibly Nice! I think Search engines should seem ahead to it. They can opt to the same seem and feel for product webpages in order to bring advancement.
It is actually an excellent and beneficial item of information. I am grateful that you just distributed this useful information with us. Please stay us up to now like this. Thank you for discussing. online billing software
Selecting an ERP software package and implementing it correctly can be an extremely complex and intimidating process for many business executives and project teams. Thanks! online erp software
I am looking for an Free Open Source E-commerce Platform that can be customized to sell all kinds of optical products like prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, etc,etc. does anybody know which platform would be best suitable for an online optical store? Thank you in advance for your help.
At my company I've been using a program called IntegriaIMS it's an opensource ticketing and administration program. I've managed to install it on any operating system with no problems. If you'd like to learn more here's a link: http://integriaims.com/
The same… Tha aim of this post is for free OS applications… I’m getting boring of all those commercial apps. Why should I pay 83 EUR or more per month if I can get free OS software?… Otherwise, I can buy a package via ENVATO by 50 dollars with all functionalities…
projectximplify.com is not free! this post was supposed to be about open source solutions..
I'd like to add these tools in you list too.
What part of the title you do not understood? “Free Open Source Project Management Applications and Tools”
What about Mantis? is it considered one of them as many people are recommending it.
Sky Softwares is one of the best company which provides Export document management software for companies with Automated export document system
You mentioned only one project management software with invoicing. We're looking into expanding our feature set with project management, do you maybe know or have a list of project management apps with integrated invoicing.
Is there any employee performance management open source code in php.
My requirement is,
To allocate task to employees as an admin
Maintain the performance of the employees
Employees must login to report their daily work and progress
web2project looks good, but there is not a feature that saves the performance of the employees.
i like very much this website because of i am not aware of this type of future which is already fully developed and also free.Thank you again.
Great list, thanks a lot. I’d also like to mention a tool we use for task management in our team – Deskun. It’s working inside Gmail which made our workflow easier and smoother.
Great list of tools. Also, I would like to add a tool to this list which is https://clariti.app/ . This is one of the best online Collaboration tools That I have come across in recent days.
I think asana is the best project management tool.
It is a good to-read list. Even I want to suggest the Peppyproject by Peppybiz. It is a project management tool that can help freelancers keep track of timing, and also it can easily get fits into their budget.